The Risks of Dental Tourism in Costa Rica and Other Countries
When it comes to high cost dental treatments such as dental implants, many patients seek out the most cost-effective options for dental treatment, including dental tourism. Dental tourism involves traveling overseas, often to Mexico or Costa Rica, for dental treatments.
While dental tourism may seem appealing due to potentially lower costs, it’s important to consider the quality of dental work and aftercare. Many patients find themselves with complications resulting from overseas dental work but now without access to the dentist that originally did the work. With some of the dental horror stories that some patients report from dental tourism, it’s doubtful anyone would even want to go back to the same dentist to address the complications.
In this article, we will explore the advantages of opting for a local Newburyport dentist, especially one like Dr. Paul Mathew that offers a 5-year warranty for his dental work.
- Quality of Dental Work: One of the primary benefits of choosing a local dentist with a 5-year warranty, like Dr. Mathew, is the assurance of receiving high-quality dental work. While the United States does not have a monopoly on great dentists, the reports of shoddy dentistry from dental tourism cannot be ignored. A survey of 1000 dentists in the UK, for example, found that 86% of dentists that treated someone that had work done overseas had to deal with complications arising from the dental work done overseas.
- Strict Safety Standards: Local dentists in the United States are held to strict state and federal standards and regulations, and are required to get continuing education in order to practice dentistry. They are also subject to regular inspections and oversight by dental boards, providing an added layer of quality control. Safety standards may not be as prevalent overseas, with CDC warning medical tourists of an increased risk of infection with antibiotic resistant bacteria in some countries.
- Access to Continuing Care: Dental procedures, such as dental implants, crowns, and veneers, may require ongoing care and maintenance. Going back overseas for repairs isn’t feasible, nor would you want to if the dentist did a bad job. Often you will find dentists that are hesitant working on another dentist’s work and trying to repair it, making dealing with resulting complications even more challenging. Opting for a local dentist with a warranty on their dental work ensures that patients have access to continuing care and follow-up appointments as needed.
- Personalized Care: Local dentists often prioritize building long-term relationships with their patients, providing personalized care tailored to their specific needs and preferences. Local dentists take the time to understand the unique oral health history, lifestyle, and goals of their patients, and can develop comprehensive treatment plans accordingly. Patients can also establish a rapport and trust with their local dentist, fostering a comfortable and familiar dental experience. In contrast, dental tourism abroad may involve a more impersonal and transactional approach, with limited opportunities for ongoing care and personalized attention.
- Contribution to the Local Economy: Choosing a local dentist also supports the local economy. Local dental practices contribute to the local community by creating jobs, paying taxes, and supporting other local businesses. By choosing a local dentist, patients can help contribute to the economic vitality of their community and support local businesses, which in turn benefits the entire community.
If you live near Newburyport and are considering complex cosmetic dentistry abroad, we urge you to at least set up a dental consultation at Artisan Dentistry. You may find that the work is affordable considering the safety and peace of mind and that there may be payment options that will help paying for the dental work.