5 Foods for a Brighter Smile
The key to a brighter smile might be easier than you think! All it takes is a trip to your local grocery store. By adding these items to your grocery list and regularly keeping up with your brushing and flossing routine, your smile will be whiter in no time.
1. Basil: Eating basil helps to reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth, which makes you less susceptible to infection. What’s great about basil is that it can be easily paired with many dishes, enhancing and adding a different dimension to the flavor. You can add it to a salad, a sandwich, a sauce, or even a soup, making it easy to score the benefits from this natural antibiotic.
2. Salmon: Salmon is a great go-to because it is rich in calcium and vitamin D, which help keep teeth strong. Grill it, bake it, or eat it raw. The natural goodness from this nutrient-rich fish will have your teeth thanking you later.
3. Sesame Seeds: The smile enhancing benefits of sesame seeds are two-fold. Not only do they help clean your teeth by scrubbing away plaque, they are also rich in calcium, so they keep teeth strong. A great way to enjoy them is in bread or sprinkled over a salad. However, sesame seeds have a bad habit of sticking around in your teeth, so make sure you have a toothpick or floss handy afterwards!
4. Shiitake Mushrooms: The active compound found in shiitake mushrooms, lentinan, stops bacteria from growing in the mouth, which helps reduce decay and plaque buildup. Shiitake mushrooms, known for their meaty consistency and savory flavor, are also a great alternative if you’re trying to eat vegetarian.
5. Quinoa: Quinoa is a super food for a reason! Not only is this grain packed with protein, it also contains calcium, magnesium, manganese, and phosphate, all of which are known to strengthen teeth. So jump on the quinoa bandwagon, the vitamins and nutrients will help your teeth look pearly white.
Keep your teeth in mind while grocery shopping and use this list to add teeth-strengthening ingredients to your recipes! On your way to a brighter smile you might find your new favorite dish