Switching From Traditional Dentures to Implant Supported Dentures
When it comes to dental solutions for a row of missing teeth, traditional dentures have long been one of the few choices available choice. However, advancements in dental technology have introduced a more permanent and comfortable alternative: implant-supported dentures. In recent years implant supported dentures, like the ones offered in our Newburyport dental office, have become increasingly popular, with people drawn by the security, reduced bulk, and better fit of implant supported dentures. These benefits of implant supported dentures are leading many to switch from traditional dentures to implant supported dentures.
There are some common themes among patients in the experience of switching from traditional dentures to implant supported dentures. Here are some experiences patients might have along the journey of going to implant supported dentures.
The Frustrations of Traditional Dentures
There are multiple frustrations that traditional denture wearers have to endure on a daily basis. Here are some frustration that denture wearers have that lead them to make the switch to implant supported (hybrid) dentures:
- Poor denture fit and stability when eating and talking – Even when using denture adhesive there are just certain foods that traditional denture wearers avoid due to worry that their dentures will come loose. For those who rely on natural adhesion there’s even a fear of the dentures coming loose while talking.
- Needing to take special care of the dentures – Traditional dentures need to be soaked and cared for. Since they are removable there’s also the risk of losing them and having them break outside the mouth.
- Denture relining appointments – Since traditional dentures are bulky and the mouth can change shape over time, patients find themselves at relining appointments, attempting to get a better denture fit.
The Solution to Bulky Dentures and Other Denture Headaches
Dental implants have been the optimal solution for replacing a missing tooth for decades now. When it comes to replacing a whole row of teeth with dental implants, however, it’s not until more recently that we saw standardization and predictability. This has led to explosive growth in the demand of implant supported hybrid dentures.
Since the dentures are affixed to dental implants that are rooted in the jaw bone, the setup is very secure. Additionally, since the dentures no longer get their support from the gums, their shape can be a lot less bulky and feel natural in the mouth. Transitioning to implant supported dentures is an easy choice for many.
The Personal Experiences of Switching to Hybrid Dentures
The vast majority of patients who choose implant supported dentures by an experienced dentist are happy with the result. The procedure is a great value to patients since it can improve the quality of life significantly. Here are some of the benefits that patients describe when patients make the switch to implant supported dentures:
- Enhanced Denture Stability – Many individuals who switch to implant-supported dentures report a significant improvement in stability. The implants act as artificial tooth roots, providing a firm foundation for the dentures. This newfound stability allows for a wider range of food choices and eliminates the fear of dentures coming loose during social interactions.
- Improved Comfort – Traditional dentures can often cause sore spots, gum irritation, and difficulty speaking. Implant-supported dentures, on the other hand, eliminate these concerns by securely attaching to the implants. This snug fit ensures greater comfort and minimal friction on the gums. The slimmer denture profile also just feels less noticeable than bulky traditional dentures and more comfortable.
- Restored Confidence – The fear of dentures slipping or falling out can be a source of embarrassment and self-consciousness for denture wearers. Implant-supported dentures restore a natural feel and appearance, allowing individuals to regain their self-esteem and smile confidently in social situations.
Are you Thinking of Transitioning to Hybrid Dentures?
Switching from traditional dentures to implant-supported dentures can be a life-changing decision for individuals seeking a more stable, comfortable, and confident dental solution. If you would like to go on this journey of dental transformation, our dentist would be happy to join you. If you’re looking for implant supported dentures near Newburyport, we urge you to set up a consultation with Dr. Paul Mathew at Artisan Dentistry.